Here are some tips for us thrifting newbies.
Jot these down or make a mental note...
Then head to your local thrift store ready to explore.
- Locate stores by using links such as Thrifty Planet or The Thrift Shopper
- Bring cash and any picture id's that could give you a discount (college/work/military)
- Have Patience Be willing to look, for a long time, through a lot of stuff.
- Leave the kids at home because thrifting can be a long process
- Wear leggings and a t-shirt so that you can try on clothes even if there isn't a dressing room available.
- Try it on!
- Think creatively everything can be altered, turned into an entirely different piece of fabulous clothing.
- Remember what you already own! No need for similar items
- Look for brand names as these are items that are usually high quality and made to last.
- Examine the item carefully for stains, rips, holes and other defects.
- Don't forget accessories. Belts, scarves, hats, bags, jewelry etc.
- Wash everything before you wear it.
- Find a tailor if you love it and it doesn't fit just right.
- Reconstruct your new clothes into something new. Jeans can become shorts etc,
- Get some, give some. For every bag your leave with, be sure to donate things you are no longer wearing.